Total Pageviews

Saturday 16 February 2013

Letter dated 16 February 1927, Cairo



Dear Papa,

Thank you for the letter and the rather generous package that accompanied it. The cigars were welcome and the large bottle of Islay Single malt was very welcome. The evening tipples here are desperately difficult to find and rougher than a goat's tongue, though it has to be said, the goats quite like it.

You may rest assured now, that I have found more suitable lodgings in which to conduct my studies. The place in question has its own front door and by that I don't mean a doorway that I do not share with anyone else, although that is certainly the case. I mean a proper front door with wood, handles and even a working lock. This is something of s relief after my last place where I had to take all my belongings with me whenever I went out, even to buy some bread. On one occasion, I discovered that in my absence, someone had stolen my room. Not physically of course. That would have been a very witless and pointless crime to attempt. No, some chap, had been walking past, saw the place was empty and thought, I'll have that. It was only went I brought round the landlord that he decided to leave. Not surprising really when you consider that the landlord looks like King Kong's bigger and rather less attractive brother.

Tomorrow, I will be meeting my tutor at the museum, so I hope to be able to start my studies and get down to some hard work which is of course why you are giving me surcharge hefty allowance; so that I don't have to support myself with supplementary income. In fact I'll be working so hard, I doubt I will even set foot outside my rooms on most evenings.

Hope everyone is alright at home. Auntie for some strange reason has sent me a couple of bottles of wine to follow the package she sent a week ago. You don't know what the old girl's up to do you? She doesn't converse with me for ten years whilst I live only a half a mile away and then as soon as I leave the country, she showers me with letters and gifts. I know you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but what if the crazy old nag looks shifty, has huge buck teeth and looks about to bite? Surely you would regard it with deep suspicion wouldn't you. Can you see if you can charm Mama into spilling the beans and telling you what's going on. The two of them are always in it together.

Anyway, must dash, all the best Papa. Write soon.

Your loving son Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.